Monday, August 10, 2009

Another new job idea


Ed and I are just back from two weeks in Scotland and Ireland. We went for the wedding of a family friend, which was amazingly fun, and chilled around for a while after in Ed's "homeland." His clan has a castle! I want the north tower room and some ladies in waiting, please.

Then we went to Ireland and were driving through the gorgeous western Ireland country - rocky mountains covered in sheep. And suddenly I asked Ed, "what kind of person would tag a sheep?"

"Huh?"

"That sheep! It's been spray painted!"

Ed looks up from driving on the crazy skinny roads, shifts with his left hand, and agrees, "Yep, spray painted."

"Do you think Irish teenagers are so bored that they spray paint sheep? Is that like cow tipping? Those poor little sheep!"

"They seem happy enough."

"Happy? They've got blue butts! Would YOU be happy with a blue butt?"

"Am I a sheep?"

"BAA! BAA!" I laugh and laugh at my own hilarity. Have I mentioned that we were together for two whole weeks, morning, noon, and night? It's a wonder Ed didn't chuck me off the Cliffs of Moher.

The next field we passed had green sheep, and the one after that had bright pink ones. And not just a little dot on the butt, these last sheep looked like Barbie's dream sheep. Bright pink from their noses to their hind legs. In the pub that night I asked the waitress about the spray painted sheep, and she said the farmers do it on purpose, to identify their own sheep and also to make them easier to find on the rocky hills. I wonder what the ASPCA would think.

Then I have a genius idea. I can be a sheep farmer! I've been looking for a new career; I'd get myself a bunch of sheep and spray paint giant Lone Stars on their sides! Texas sheep! My sheep would clearly be the best sheep, and everyone would know it just by looking at them. I'd be the best lil' sheep farmer in Ireland, because my sheep would have Texas pride.

Yep, I've only lived in Texas six months and already know Texas is Best. Giddyup, sheep!

2 comments:

  1. Beats a red-hot branding iron.

    I'm just saying, you ask a cow which they'd prefer, and you'd have a field full of graffiti on your hands in no time. Much to the chagrin of the leather industry, I'm sure...

    ReplyDelete