Monday, March 30, 2009

Meet Jamie in St. Louis


Jamie, Ben and I met the first day of freshman year in high school. We were inseparable and teachers teased us about how we were going to get on when we went to separate colleges. That wasn't a problem, Jamie had car and I was only three hours away. We didn't see Ben much in that time, but apparently absence makes the heart grow fonder; when we were old enough to get married, Jamie and Ben married each other.

So when Ben learned that he needed major surgery and would be in the hospital for up to a week, I booked myself a ticket to go stay with Jamie at their perfect home in St. Louis. While Ben was in the hospital I jabbered away, feeling sure that I was distracting both of them and doing my good deed of the day. Then Ben came home, with holes in his neck from the IV and strict instructions to be calm while he healed. And like most sick people, he was grumpy. But I have two younger siblings and a know-it-all attitude, so when he told Jamie "you're going to the store and you're going to buy me jelly." I yelled, "Say please, now!" He ignored me like my siblings do. But Jamie sighed. I thought maybe I should change my ticket and stay a few more days and be Mary Sunshine in the house with a grumpy sick person.

Because it would have been such a favor to let Jamie listen to her grumpy husband and bratty friend snipe at each other all day. Even though I think I'm funny when I snipe...especially since I think I'm funny. Hi-LAR-ious, actually. I crack myself up and you can join in or not.

I came home. You're welcome, Feig!

1 comment:

  1. You're awesome, as usual. And *I* think you're funny when you snipe! :-D

    ReplyDelete