Monday, May 11, 2009

Probably not worth it



Twice a week I scoot on up to the doctor for a shot in each arm. So yeah, when I talk about my "allergy shot" I really mean "multiple shots that sting like bees." Four shots a week, and Gigolo doesn't even care. I expect him to show me extra lovin' when I get home with sore arms, but a full half the time he just bites me and goes back to sleep. You'd think I would learn not to wake him up and demand cuddling, but I won't.

When I first started getting the shots, I thought it was weird that they put Scotch Tape over the needle hole. I asked a nurse at another doctor's office if it was weird, and she looked at me like I had a Scotch Tape head and said, "yes, that's very weird." But the nurses at the allergist's put the tape on my arms so matter-of-factly that I stopped thinking much about it, and Ed got used to pulling tape off my arms when he got home at night.

Then, one afternoon I went into the waiting room after my shots and another patient said, "Um, you're bleeding." I looked down and my arm had a drip of blood on it. So I went back to the nurse's station and said, "Hey, I'm bleeding, can I have a Band-Aid?" The nurse was startled. "Oh, I must have missed the injection site." She wiped up the blood with alcohol and put another piece of tape carefully over the needle hole. "Now, the tape may not stick because of the alcohol."

You know what would stick, crazy lady? A BAND-AID. But of course I didn't say that. I said "thank you, ma'am" like a good Texan. And went home with tape on my arms, again.

1 comment:

  1. WHAAAAA??? that's totally bizarre. I'm sending you band-aids. Boxes of them.

    ReplyDelete