Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Traffic jam

Yesterday I was wandering the restaurant portion of the Riverwalk, chilling with the Memorial Day crowds and deciding whether to buy a necklace at the craft fair. The Riverwalk is generally wide enough for three or four people across, and people were wandering both directions. Until I came on a crowd, all heading the same direction as me, but walking slower than a three legged turtle. Generally I 'm an "excuse me" and cut around people kind of girl, but there must have been 20 people in the crowd and that's more "excuse me"s and "coming on your left"s than I felt would be Texan of me. Don't want to be rude, now.

So I walked behind this crowd, getting more and more impatient because we were barely moving, it was very hot, and the CVS where I was heading to buy Sparkling Green Tea (strawberry kiwi flavor) was RIGHT THERE, if only the crowd would pick up the pace. But if anything we started slowing down, and soon I was walking forward two steps, then hopping in place three, just to give the people in front of me time to get out of the way so I could move forward one more step.

We came to a place where the sidewalk widened for a few feet, and the crowd started rushing, breaking both directions and zipping towards the other side.

And I saw the problem.

The log jam was caused by a couple, two people with the BIGGEST ASSES I HAVE EVER SEEN. They weren't morbidly obese in the faces and upper bodies, but their butts were big enough for THREE seats on Southwestern. They'd blocked up the Riverwalk so badly that no one could slide by them. And when people got the chance, they rushed and pushed and zipped around the couple so they could walk faster on the other side. The crowd practically pushed the couple into the river in the need to go faster. It was rude and crazy.

I felt like I was back in DC for a minute. Le sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment