Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Driving Rant


I've decided to go with yelling therapy and get all my frustrations written down, with the idea that I'll be so annoyed by my own complaining that I'll snap out of it. So here's the first in my proud series on Texas Rantings.

San Antonio is an easy city to get around; people who haven't lived in DC complain about the traffic, but honey, they got it soooooo good. Memories of my hours a week sitting on Route 66 are fresh enough to make me appreciate that it takes less than 20 minutes to get anywhere I'd want to go in San Antonio.

And when people complain about the traffic, I could tell them exactly why there's slow-downs. It's because people drive on the interstates, which run through the middle of downtown in a very convenient way, 10 MILES UNDER THE SPEED LIMIT. And the speed limit's not crazy. We live right off Interstate 37 and I take it everywhere from the big scary HEB near us to the fancy organic HEB up north. And the speed limit is 60mph. On a big, wide, comfortable, three-lane highway. Three lanes each direction, Texans. That's how you define a highway, by the lanes going ONE WAY. A two-lane highway is not one lane each direction where you get stuck behind enormous tractors. Hear and learn.

So why, I ask myself (and yell at the other cars), is everyone driving 50 and below? Why? In DC I'd regularly drive 10 miles over the limit and never got a speeding ticket. I'd get passed by every third car like I was going backwards. If the road is open, gun it, because it won't be open long. Here the road are always open and it's a luxury no one appreciates! People here don't even like to pass! No matter how open the road is and how many lanes are free and how slow someone else is going. When traffic backs up I'm sure it's because everyone's courteously slowing down to accommodate that 35mph Ferrari in the left lane. It's the peddle on the right, people!


Hmm...ranting does make me feel a little better. Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment