Tuesday, April 14, 2009

I don't know what I was thinking

Man, Texas sucks. In DC I had plans every night and so many friends it was a real effort to keep up with them. Here I have no friends and no job, only a cat that makes me sick and a husband who's so concerned about my lack of social outlet that he wants me to apply for any job that'll get me out of the house. I get where he's coming from, but the last three job listings he's sent have been for low-paying administrative or receptionist positions, and I remember how miserable I was when I hated my job. I don't want another sucky job! I want to be back in DC where there's a hundred foreign policy and social services organizations, which a quick search yesterday showed are HIRING.

I didn't have a picture to illustrate this entry so I've drawn a self portrait. Don't worry, in real life my arms are the same length and my hair's not quite that frizzy. But the abnormally long torso is to scale.

5 comments:

  1. aw, katie... i know how you feel. i remember those first 6 or so months... it's not easy. the only reason i have friends is because we live in a new development, so we all bond over that.

    maybe instead of trying to find any job, apply to a book store, or a coffee shop or something like that. something that is not meant to replace a "real" job, but that would allow you to meet people who have similar interests.

    and just hang in there. remember why you moved there, and the long term goals you two have. you WILL find a great job, and make friends. and it will be so worth the wait.

    (in the meantime, if you're any good with gardening or interior decorating, we could use you up here! it's only 4 hours!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is there one solitary tear?

    ReplyDelete
  3. well, you know that we'll take you back any time you want to come. and in a few months, i'll even have an extra bedroom for you :).

    but let me leave you with this: today, it is rainy and cold in dc. very far from warm. even further from sunny. you know why you're there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You might want to consider coming back sooner than later.... as you might need a US passport before long... >:-) Not that I'm biased. :-)

    http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/

    "Texas Gov. Rick Perry isn't ruling out the possibility his state may one day secede from the nation."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rick Perry is Gov of Texas... of course he is not ruling that out! :D

    Gawd, I miss Texas!

    ReplyDelete