Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Business Plan

Since we arrived in San Antonio I've been talking about opening a cupcake shop, like CakeLove in DC. Something trendy and funky with seating and probably one of those old-fashioned copper espresso machines. I could see the shop in my head, all yellow stripes and ruffly apron-wearing workers. But since I know nothing about baking and even less about running a shop, I mostly talked about it in the "shouldn't I do this?" sort of way, knowing that people would always say, "yes, that's a great idea! I love cupcakes!" Of course they say, "I love cupcakes," because the only people who don't love cupcakes are losers. So what are you? Cupcake lover? I thought so.

Ends up that Cupcake Couture just opened a new location yesterday, just about where I would have opened mine. "Cupcake Couture" isn't quite as good a name as "HappyCakes," but it does look like the owners know how to frost. That picture above is from their website, that that blue frosting bow is perfect. Sigh.

So what to do next? What could make people happier than cupcakes?

Drinking.

Ed and I have essentially started a B&B for unemployed friends and relatives in the last couple of months. People fly in on a Thursday or Friday, I pick them up at the airport and take them to the Riverwalk. We order a bottle of wine or a couple of jumbo margaritas. We spend the whole weekend drinking and making fun of fat tourists. We commiserate about how finding a job is a terrible process. We laugh a lot and share stories about failure. It's a service I'm learning to offer, and if I charged like a B&B for my time, we'd be rolling in the dough. We could call it something lame but memorable, like Katie's Fat and Happy House. Bum's Rest. Dunner's Digs. Only, how to ding unemployed people to pay for my own living expenses? The first person to tell me how can have 20% ownership in Katie's Krashpad.

Full ownership once I die of liver failure - if you'll give me some start-up cash now.

No comments:

Post a Comment