Monday, June 1, 2009

I'm watching you...

Saturday the new "Museum Reach" section of the Riverwalk opened, which is very exciting since the new part means I can get in a full run without going around the loop with the restaurants. I mean, I know the tourists just love having my sweaty butt staggering around them as much as I love doing the staggering, but it's a pleasure we will all learn to live without.

The new section is pretty neat, it goes under some major roads but local artists have beautified the underpasses, with giant hanging fish and with mirrors that reflect the light in interesting ways. I wouldn't have thought of enormous colored fish, but that's why no one pays me to decorate underpasses. Gotta say, though, there was one underpass that gets a big "FAIL" from me - it looks like you'd expect an underpass to look, dark and creepy and dirty looking, but they've piped in sounds. Birds and frogs and things. Magnified a hundred times. Damn creepy, it sounds like the front lawn of a haunted house in the movies. That's not what I need to hear when I'm trying to keep my tired legs moving.

But otherwise I'm really happy with how pretty and convenient it is. Though I ask you, look at this picture from yesterday's San Antonio Express News:


I ran by the spot where I think this face is supposed to be, then walked back past it, then jogged by it one more time. How did I not see this enormous face? Where is he? Did he leave his grotto to go make haunted house sounds? He totally looks like he would.

No comments:

Post a Comment