Monday, June 8, 2009

June 8


I actually wrote my birthday blog entry the day before my birthday. It was a little sad but hopeful, talking about what it's like to hit a milestone like a birthday when I have so many things still in flux. The article ended with me drinking champagne with some new friends at happy hour tonight - Ed's out of town but wanted to buy the girls a bottle. I love champagne and made these plans a week ago, so I knew that's how the day would go. Run, breakfast, ice cream, nap, champagne. Pretty much the best birthday I could hope for, with few friends here and a husband on a business trip.

About 10am I started getting birthday emails and texts from friends in DC. By noon I was getting texts every five minutes. Around 2pm the texts started being from numbers I didn't recognize, messages that just said "happy birthday!" I thought about texting back and saying "thanks! Who are you?" but thought that'd be rude...I figured I'd just think about it more and would figure out who the messages were from. Then I got two in a row that said "a little birdie told me to text you a happy birthday." What? The next said "happy birthday from so-and-so's friend!" Ah...it became clear who the little birdie must be.

All told, I got 49 texts before 4:30. Some favorites:
"Happy birthday from a friend of a friend in Athens, Greece!"
"Happy birthday from a little birdie's mom!"
"HAPPY BIRTHDAY KATIE - Kristin" I haven't seen Kristin in at least five years. It was after this message that I went to the little birdie and said "Whut?" The little birdie told me about the other little birdie who instigated the text storm.

The birdies say their methods are top secret, though I'm determined to find out how this happened. How did I get to the point where I have so many friends, great friends, and little birdie friends who work as catalysts? I'm touched more than I can say. Thanks for the messages and I love you, birdies.

"Happy birthday Katie! I don't know you, but it's clear you are much-loved :) Have a wonderful day!!"

3 comments:

  1. How did you get to the point where you have so many friends?

    You get great friends by being a great friend.

    We love you. And we miss you. More than words (or a million texts) can say!

    HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are much loved. It only took a moment for me to see why my sister (singlegirl) loves you so much. I hope that you got the text from Wade. He tried really hard :)

    Have a WONDERFUL b-day and good luck with everything in Tex-ass!

    ReplyDelete
  3. bwahahahahaaha. glad your birthday was bright. and i'm glad that you had some great girls to celebrate with (and a few bottles of bubbly)... i hope they know how lucky they are to have you :).

    ReplyDelete