Saturday, January 10, 2009

Home is where the rent money goes

Yesterday Ed and I went home hunting - Ed's company hooked us up with a realtor, thank goodness, or we'd have ended up with one of the apartment buildings "recommended" by rent.com. We saw two of those buildings yesterday morning and they were terrible; expensive and inconvenient and small.

But I don't know if I should thank goodness yet, since she first took us to a house in the King William district - a historic neighborhood that Ed and I already knew we really liked, and showed us gorgeous house. Gorgeous. It has a new kitchen. It has a sunroom, which I've already named "Katie's library." It has den for Ed. IT HAS A GUESTHOUSE. It costs 50% more a month than we wanted to pay.

Here's me convincing myself that the next house we went to see, in a less interesting neigborhood, with crazy colored rooms, sagging porch, bookcases at catywumpus angles and a kitchen that's sticky and still full of the previous tenant's food, but which is within our price range, was a good house:


It's also ugly on the outside.
Now, there are two good parts to this story. One is that our realtor couldn't get in to the King William house; the electronic key holder was broken. So I've only seen Katie's library through the windows. Maybe the whole house smells like cat pee and we'll hate it if and when we see the inside (supposedly they're trying to find a spare key still).

The second good part is that after that terrible house above we saw a very nice, big, wood floored condo in a building with a big pool and party room. We could definitely live there for a year and save up enough money to buy a King William house with a library and new kitchen.

So I'm going to hope that King William house is terrible from the inside and that the condo is where we end up. Katie's library may have to wait.

Because we all know how patient I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment