Saturday, January 24, 2009

Things I didn't expect (Part II)


Yesterday afternoon I went to the closest H-E-B. Here in San Antonio you don't go to the grocery store, you go to the H-E-B (and don't try to call it "heb" unless you want to sound like a DC dweebus). I didn't even think to myself "how hard can it be?" because it didn't cross my mind that going to the grocery store could ever be hard.

My. Goodness. To call H-E-B a "grocery store" is like calling a monsoon a "sprinkle." H-E-B has groceries, but H-E-B also sells auto parts and baby clothes and houseplants. I went in with my grocery list clutched in my fist and walked out an hour later with only half the things on my list and cartoon poppy eyes from complete overwhelmedness. I had to escape before my head exploded from the sheer magnitude of the place. Finding NutriGrain bars would have required a safari down the cereal aisle and I just wasn't up to it.

Today I drove uptown to Central Market. It's owned by H-E-B but is more like a Whole Foods - it's mostly organic foods, upscale and smaller. I think Ed and I are going to start eating organic just so I can handle grocery shopping.

3 comments:

  1. What does HEB stand for? Have Everything in Bulk?

    ReplyDelete
  2. i just looked it up, it's "here everything's better". they have lots of good recipes on their site! most of it's HEB products tho'.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was originally Hugh E. Butts, but they changed it to "Here Everything is Better". Mr. Butts, of course, started the Texas chain. :)

    ReplyDelete