Monday, January 12, 2009

lady of leisure


Ed's first day of work is today, so it's the first day of my new bon-bon eating, spa-going, ladies-who-lunching lifestyle. My car hasn't come yet so I drove him to work in his truck, he was fresh in his best suit for his first day at his new school...em, job. Then I came back to the extended stay hotel and straightened up the room. It took two minutes. I turned on the tv, turned it off again, picked up a magazine, put it back down, paced the length of the room twice and went back out to the car. I drove around (the area we hope will be) our new neighborhood, trying to find the nearest Target or grocery store or other services. I found none. I drove back downtown and tried to find a Starbucks. After twenty minutes I found one, no parking nearby. Finally I found a little independent coffee shop that had an empty parking lot in front. I looked at it for a minute, decided it looked dirty, and drove on.

I plugged "Target" into Ed's new navigation system and drove 20 minutes down the freeway and bought laundry detergent. I came back to the hotel; did three loads of laundry before I ran out of quarters. I went for an hour long walk, and now it's noon and I'm out of things to do.

Girl needs a j-o-b.

2 comments:

  1. i would say come visit, but if y'all only have one car, i suppose that wouldn't work out so well. but you have a truck! you're already part texan. ;o) jeromy said there's a running joke about texas - it takes 20 minutes to get anywhere. ...that's about right.

    hang in there. you'll find a great job soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You make it sound like we're supposed to be surprised that you went stir crazy in like 20 minutes flat. I say instead of pacing your hotel suite, you pace the streets of San Antonio until you find a place that looks interesting...then go in and apply for a job. I might refrain from telling them that your sanity depends upon it, though :)

    ReplyDelete