Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Truckin' like the do-dah man



I've noticed that I'm by no means the only person driving around San Antonio in a big ol' SUV. But my Civic was supposed to catch up with us yesterday at the latest and I was looking forward to having it back.

So yesterday I tracked it online again, and to my surprise it was still listed in Mesquite, Texas, where it's supposedly been since last Saturday. So I called the car lady. This is a true-to-my-interpretation story of what happened next:

Her: I'm sorry about your car.

Me: Is it going to arrive soon?

Her: No idea. We've lost track of it and are pretty sure it was picked up by a gang of itinerant Texas pickup trucks.

Me: But it was a tough city car! It knows how to defend itself from bullies and mace them in the face.

Her: Honey, your city car doesn't even know how to rope a chicken. It had no chance.

Me: Aw.

Her: At least it was probably over quickly. Do you want a rental car while we figure out what's going on?

Me: Nah, I think I'll try to rent a Vespa.

Her: You're never going to fit in here.

3 comments:

  1. Dude! You on a Vespa is priceless. It's perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. dude. mesquite's just on the other side of dallas. probably an hour away. want me to go get your car? if we do end up coming down to San Antonio this weekend, I could drive it to you.

    (no lie, I almost typed that whole paragraph in Texan:
    dude. mequite'a just on the udder side'a dallas. 'bout twenny minutes. i could'a get yo' car for ya n' bring'r to san aaantony for ya.)

    loved the dialog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a Honda Metropolitan II that's just sitting in my parking garage. Do ya want me to send it your way?

    ReplyDelete